Monday, December 19, 2011

Monday Nook And The 'Sleep Out'


I love this nook. I love the helmet/hat rack up near the rafters and the built in window seat. I have this image filed away in my 'Queenslander File' as a design solution to many 'sleep-out' renovations in our traditional Queenslander/colonial style homes here in Brisbane.

A 'sleep out', here in Queensland, refers to a room that is formed from an enclosed verandah. 'Sleep outs' come off the main house and usually have 2 or more entrances to them. You usually have to walk through another room to get into them! 'Sleep outs' were originally created for extra sleeping space (that theoretically was meant to be cooler than the main house) either in the initial construction of the home or after as an 'enclosed verandah afterthought'. Some argue that the 'sleep out' is definitely not separate to the house and is not an add-on. In some original Queensland homes they are a room which is part of the home's original design and hence forms part of the house under roof. 

Real Estate Agents sometimes refer to them as bedrooms but our Tenancies Act states that a bedroom must be at least 7.5 sqm. I am visiting open homes at the moment where in some there is evidence of the 'sleep out' being part of the original design of the home... hence it is referred to as a bedroom.... yet in others, where the 'sleep out' has obviously been an 'afterthought of an enclosed verandah', they are referred to as a 'sleep out'... "2 bedrooms and a sleep out"... as the literature says.
Makes for interesting discussions at open homes!


As you can see in the brochure above, this 'ideal home' built in the Brisbane Exhibition Grounds as part of the 1918 Brisbane Town Planning Conference, has a 'sleep out' (sleep space) included in the original plan. It doesn't come off the hall as a separate bedroom.....you have to wander through bedrooms to get to it... and it has 2 entrances as mentioned earlier.

Image Via Google Images

In this home, you can see that a 'sleep out' has been enclosed on the left elevation after construction. You can see on the right a hint of the main bedroom under gable, possibly in a bay, with the verandah originally having been an L shaped open space at the top of the stairs.

Image Via Google Images

Had to throw this one in. Who of you (if you live here in Australia) haven't slept in a 'sleep out' room like this on your holidays as a child? 

Image Via Google Images

Ah yes, the old 'kids in the sleep out' holiday of yesteryear. 

Let's use these two images as the 'before shots' for our original 'nook' image. Can you see how the new 'nook' design (at the top) could define a space on entry to the sleep out and would allow for another living space to be delineated further along the verandah so it is not just one big obvious 'I once was a 'sleep out' space. The nook layout could be used at one end of the sleep out at the first entrance and could even be repeated in a mirror image fashion at the other end/entrance of the sleep out... now there's a thought! 

Those of you living with a 'sleep out' in your original home design ... what have you done with yours? Is it a bedroom? an office? an ensuite? a playroom? ..... a walk in robe? (I see plenty of 'sleep out walk in robes' in my 'realestalking'). Would love to know!

Happy Monday! Off to the shed today. Boys will be armed with their ripsticks to while away the boredom of 'shed time'.
Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Sleep out rooms - I´ve never heard of them but I´m glad I did now, it was interesting! Love the nook above, especially the b&w theme. Always classy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes the good old sleep out. It amazes me how real estate agents call them bedrooms. In one of the many houses I have lived in (sigh), we had a sleep out and we used it for the boys playroom. It was a great way to utilize the space when they were little. Have a lovely day! Mimi xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sitting in our freshly painted sleepout as I type this post, it is now my office. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have a sleep out. Ours is actually an enclosed verandah, we think, which we use as a dining room/reading area. I love that 'Brisbane between the wars' information. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to stay in an original and shabby Queenslander with a sleep out on Sunshine Beach in the 70s. It was up the north end of the beach, perched just above the beach with stunning views. It was prime real estate and I would occasionally drive down that street to check on it over the years and always be very happy to see it still standing. Alas, when I had a look this October a new multi-million dollar build was now on that amazing site. The sleep out in that house had a ping-pong table. I have such fond memories of those holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sleep out in my old Queensland place is now part of the wrap around veranda. When I bought the house, it was being used as a storage area for old furniture and boxes. I had my builder open it all up so the breezes could flow through.

    As a kid though I remember my aunt had a sleep-out at her old holiday place in Kinglake Victoria. There were lots of canvas dust covers over the old beds and furniture and now, certain smells bring back vivid memories of staying there for our holidays
    Funny what you remember.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The original homestead on my husbands family's first or original farm has one whole verandah enclosed as a sleep out with glass louvred windows. (Which apparently used to rattle a little bit.) It was always "the boys" bedroom with the girls sleeping in the house.

    Sleep outs are really common in rural WA - both on the coast and on farms. Older houses in Perth also have them, particularly near the coast.

    I love the renovated sleep out in the first photo - gorgeous but still really practical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy to see this today! We have an old farmhouse in Victoria that we are SLOWLY renovating (you were so kind once to send me through the dimensions of your pantry - thank you!) and we are enclosing our rear verandah. You will be able to access it from the car port, and so we will make it into mud room (imo an essential here in winter, but surprisingly rare) and the far end will be a sleep nook/study area. I have loads of pictures such as the gorgeous one you posted above as inspiration as well. I can't wait until it is finished as it's going to be such a functional space, but also a pretty, sunny spot to be.

    Thanks for your inspiration! (again!)

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That brings back so many memories of my nanna's gorgeous old Ashgrovian and the built-in L-shaped front verandah with the bed in it. I loved that space. It was much cooler and lighter than the nearby lounge room to play in. We lived in our own house at Ashgrove for a while and my brother lucked out and got the sleep-out as his bedroom....gracefully 'walled' by wardrobes on one end to give him privacy. He hated it cause he heard weird noises in the night. Lol! No sense of adventure, obviously'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the black and white. We renovated a house around the time Tex was born and transformed 'the sleep out' into his nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I first came to Brisbane a few years ago we rented a gorgeous old Queenslander that had a sleepout. Of course, I had no idea what it was at first and saw it as a big corridor between bedrooms! It became the perfect play room in the day and was glorious in Winter aftrenoons and was a very handy extra space when we had guests. I love the history of these homes.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. There were 5 kids in my husband's family and 2 of the boys slept in a sleepout. It definitely looked like an afterthought to me. The construction was a lot 'flimsier' and it was overlooked through a window in another bedroom. The sleepout had louvre windows unlike the rest of the house and it was not in QLD but in SA! So quite common here too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In our old house the enclosed sleep out was used as my playroom. It opened one end to the front deck and the other end to the kitchen - which was perfect for watching the kids play. We have just bought a really old 'renovator' and plan on opening up some of the sleep out, but your image has given me something to think about with regard to the remaining space.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have lots of sleep outs in Perth too so they're a familiar sight to me. Here they seem to get used as extended-laundry/junkroom/playroom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our sleepout is quite large, it runs the length of two bedrooms. I use it as an office/sewing room. The only "problem" with it is both bedrooms have a set of french doors opening on to it, plus french doors to the verandah AND another door, so not a lot of wall space, making furniture placement tricky!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx