Friday, July 16, 2010

Report Card

He did great! I was the basket case (on the inside of course) so much so that, while he did his warm up before we left, I had to remove myself and head upstairs to domestos the bathroom and do the ironing.... to the dulcet tones of my Cole Porter CD.... loud enough to drown out the scales.

Still no better at examination headquarters... buried my head in a bougainvillea bush outside... to surround myself with 'pretty' and think pretty thoughts. He came out beaming. I could have cried with relief. I still caught glimpses of 'old school' in the waiting room... a terrified little boy, significantly younger than my youngest at 7, clutching an Eighth Grade Piano Book. What??!!! My son said he saw him later in tears, in the warm up room, his mother standing over him, chastising him in their language. I'm sorry, Mother's have their place but little ones still need a voice. The day my son says I am not enjoying this, we're done. He has been alternating music exams each year, guitar exam one year, piano the next, as I am so mindful of not destroying the magic that music lessons SHOULD be. I mentioned after his exam that the next exam would be guitar next year. "Mum, I would like to do both, piano and guitar next year, I can't wait to learn some new music". Thank you Mrs Poole (our piano teacher)... thank you!

Ok, so we skipped school, despite my boy being dressed and ready for his after lunch lessons (I love that part of being a Mum and I loved the joy on his face when I announced that we were wagging school.... cue disapproving, manipulative silence of 'previous generation'). First stop, our favourite sushi place and then Gloria Jeans for a 'Nailed My Piano Exam Oreo/Tim Tam Iced Chocolate'.

We're off to pick up the little tacker from school and then we're heading to the park for an 'end of the school week serious soccer session'.
Have a great weekend!

Photobucket

24 comments:

  1. Ah, it doesn't get much better than that does it! Congratulations to both of you...and Mrs Poole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo, way to go - to both of you! K xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done all! Good on you for nurturing his love of music - there are way too many kids trying to fulfil their parents' ambitions out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Sounds like you both did great!!! Enjoy your afternoon at the park with the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh thats wonderful, such a relief he came out beaming! good on you for s pending the day off school! sometimes us mums just have to do what we feel is best for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, well done - both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to a clever lad and don't you love those 'illicit' one on one times with your kids!!
    Just the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great day! Those impromptu moments are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how wonderful.
    Congratulations Big Boy!!
    Can't beat wagging school with Mum, pretty special.
    Have a great weekend
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending big hugs of congratulations to your budding piano player :) (and to his proud Mum!!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great day for the two of you - you paint such a vivid picture... Enjoy the weekend - soccer starts again tomorrow for us... Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well Done A-M's big boy!! I was always soooo nervous before piano exams!! And there is nothing better than wagging a day of school to spend it with Mum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's great! It sounds lie you have the perfect parent attitude with regard to his music. If it's not fun for him, what's the point?
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's great news. I had to come back tonight to check how he (and you) went! Well done!!! Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad he did well!

    Your story about the little boy kills me. I know his mother thinks she has his best interest at heart, and means well, but I hate to see stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how awesome is that...well done little chap..and gold star to mum too...a fab duo xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. YAY!!! I'm happy for the both of you, great job! :0) What a nice mom giving him the afternoon off too !! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! I knew he could do it. Ah to have that thirst for knowledge and challenge, what I wouldn't give to have that back. Enjoy your weekend A-M!

    XO,A.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My daughter does ballet and I see a similar thing happening there. Some ballet teachers and/or parents want their kids pushed ahead in grades if they show any natural ability. There's a reason to work through grades and it's not all about ability. Maturity and physical development are required as well. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you are doing it really well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How beautiful. What a special day for him and you. It is wonderful that he has found his musical voice and is happy to explore it. I loved reading about that special day. How lucky he is to have you for his mummy and how lucky are you to have such beautiful children. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. How exciting! And I'm so glad he has such a love of music and a mom who loves him even more! My children may not remember every lesson they learned in school, but they will remember the days that I let them go to see the opening of a Harry Potter movie, or the other days they played "hookie" over the years! And now that they are grown, I wish I'd done a few more of those days!

    Tell your son congrats on a job well done!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done to you and your son on doing the piano exam, i am so impressed, partic as you had all the turmoil of the move in the run up to it, Bx

    ReplyDelete
  23. P.s. love the expression "wagging" is that an Aussi term? Bx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for all your comments. Piano boy has read all of them and is beyond amazed that you are all so supportive. A good lesson, in caring for others, he has since learnt from this comment column! Yes Blighty, I think 'wagging' is pure unadulterated 'Aussie'. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx